The Washington Post is reporting that Notre Dame quarterback Tommy Rees has been arrested and jailed on felony charges following a confrontation with officers that took place early on Thursday. Because some of the charges are felonies, Rees hasn’t been released yet.

Rees, 19, was arrested on charges of resisting law enforcement, battery to law enforcement, minor consumption and public intoxication, St. Joseph County police Sgt. Bill Redman said.

According to Sgt. William Redman, Rees was pepper sprayed before arriving at the jail. At this time, he isn’t sure when it exactly happened. [FOX28]

Rees isn’t the only Irish player to be arrested as linebacker Carlo Calabrese was also arrested on misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and released after he posted $150 bond.

“The university is aware of this incident and is confident that it will be handled in a prompt and professional manner through the criminal justice system,” Notre Dame spokesman Dennis Brown said in a statement. “Internal discipline is handled privately, in accord with our own policies and federal law.”

Rees started 12 of the Irish’s 13 games last season. Rees was among four other quarterbacks fighting for the starting position this season.

Irish fans are already not too happy with Rees so this won’t make it any easier for him. I imagine Rees will move to the back of the pack in the quarterback race at Notre Dame.


[Update] Chicago Tribune reports

South Bend police had received a call about a loud party at about 12:30 a.m. on Notre Dame Avenue, an off-campus area that is home to many Notre Dame students, South Bend police Capt. Phil Trent said.

Officers found a “madhouse of people” drinking and congregating outside a home, enjoying the warm night, he said.

“It was a nice night, they were drinking, they’re having a loud time, which is the reason we’re there.”

As officers approached, five or six people hopped a fence and led police on a chase, Trent said. The officers caught up with the group and used their hands to corral them, but Rees “actively resisted,” Trent said.

“It wasn’t terribly violent, but it was enough to be considered resisting,” he said.

One officer suffered a minor scrap and “had the wind knocked out of him” while trying to stop the group, Trent said.

related posts